On-Demand Constructed Response: A Step-by-Step Approach (Gr 2-8)
(Old title: On-Demand Teaching Through Text: A Step-by-Step Guide to Constructed Response)
Watch and learn how to teach your students to apply analysis skills to constructed response with this on-demand teacher's course. You can view, pause, and replay this content or break your learning into bite-size sections that work with your school schedule. This flexible format makes learning easy!
WHO: Teachers, Grades 2-8
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- Instructional tools to analyze and annotate text
- Effectively deconstruct the prompt
- Locate and identify evidence to support your response
- Paraphrase and cite evidence in source texts (narrative and informational)
- Apply analysis skills to constructed response
- How to model the step by step process to a well written response
Required prerequisite: Background in EW Informational instruction is recommended. Each participant is required to have the corresponding Informational writing resources (digital or printed).
- Remember that Empowering Writers’ Informational digital guide includes a year-long HUB license that delivers digital teaching resources for an entire year of Informational writing instruction. The HUB allows for easy, online access to your Informational guide, along with a wealth of other done-for-you resources and teach-it tools to access online and use for an entire year from date of purchase.
Objective: Learn how to apply informational skills to tasks that require students to identify and cite evidence from text.
6 hour course will:
- Review foundational skills for application
- Use a sample text to model the process for constructed response with a single source text
- Introduce key comprehension questions for Informational and Opinion Genres
- Utilize the framing questions for literary analysis
- Model the application of the questions with specific articles or stories
- Apply questioning techniques to assess students' ability to understand foundational skills, identify and paraphrase/cite evidence, and formulate a fluid response
- Develop an extended response utilizing multiple source texts
WHAT YOU GET:
- 6 hours of Writing instruction (taught by Master Educators)
- Certificate of Attendance for 6-hours of Professional Development
- Ongoing support from the Empowering Writers’ team to ensure your success through virtual teacher talks, online chat Q&A, webinar trainings and much more!
- Price: $175 USD for a full day of instruction and unlimited support. Add $99 to include a year's subscription to the digital Informational HUB guide.
- Digital Guidebook to accompany your training day.
Copyright law warning: These recordings are to be used by the purchaser only and are not to be shared or duplicated.
*Need to get a quote to start your PO? Add this workshop to your cart; at checkout select "Quote" as a payment method.
*Want a printed guide or additional Informational/Expository resources? Click here to shop more!